G-Star RAW develops first ever C2C Gold level certified denim

YarnsandFibers News Bureau 2017-12-06 15:00:00 – Amsterdam

G-Star Raw, denim brand continuing its efforts to shape a new future for the fabric with the development of the first-ever pair of Cradle to Cradle (C2C) Gold level certified pair of jeans. The collection is collaboration with Archroma, a global textile industry leader specializing in earth-friendly color and dyeing processes, which also helped Patagonia develop its sustainable denim collection.

To develop the sustainable denim, G-Star partnered with suppliers Dystar, Artistic Milliners and Saitex, evaluating the entire design process to identify opportunities to reduce environmental impact.

The result is a denim fabric made from 100 percent organic cotton, grown without any synthetic fertilizers or toxic pesticides, and the cleanest indigo-dyeing process to-date. Developed with Dystar and Artistic Milliners, the Crystal Clear process uses 70 percent less chemicals, no salts and produces no salt by-product during the reduction or dye process, consequently saving water and leaving clean, recyclable water effluent.

G-Star also worked with Saitex to develop new washing techniques that ensure 98 percent of the water used can be recycled and reused, with the remaining 2 percent evaporating, leaving no water left behind to be wasted or released into the environment.

To further enhance product sustainability, G-Star removed all components that could not be easily recycled — such as rivets and zippers — replacing them with eco-finished metal buttons. Additionally, the brand says it will ensure all labeling and carton packaging are responsibly sourced.

Frouke Bruinsma, Corporate Responsibility Director of G-Star Raw said that almost everyone has a pair of jeans in their closet. As a key player in this market, G-Star Raw takes responsibility to lead by example in promoting sustainable denim innovation.

Their new denim fabric and its revolutionary indigo process will become an open source for the rest of the industry to use. They would like to invite others to join them towards cleaner and more ethical denim production globally.

The RFTPi collection is just the latest denim innovation from G-Star, which in 2014 partnered with Pharrell Williams' Bionic Yarn on its RAW for the Oceans collection, which incorporated marine plastic; and in 2015 teamed up with Calik, the first bluesign® denim mill, to produce the first bluesign-approved denim fabrics, which came onto market in 2016.

The G-Star Elwood RFTPi jean, together with its counterpart D-Staq RFTPi denim jacket, will be available in stores and online beginning February 15, 2018 for both men and women.

G-Star and its mill partner to further sustainable innovation in the industry and inspire a sector-wide shift in practice have created an open-source access to their sustainable denim fabric-development processes, which can be accessed through the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute’s Fashion Positive Materials Library.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Market Intelligence

Ask for free sample Report

why us?
21 yrs


Fortune 500

Customer Base


dedicated team


Countries Served Worldwide


Register below to receive our newsletters with latest industry trends and news!

WeCreativez WhatsApp Support
Our support team is here to answer your questions via WhatsApp. Ask us anything!
? Hello